- Why did ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR fail to fetch an initial?
- Why didn't the hype surrounding Ranbir Kapoor translate into a powerful opening for the film?
- Why didn't Yash Raj promote the film to the optimum? Why was the promotion low-key?
- Was Yash Raj thinking that the success of Ranbir Kapoor's WAKE UP SID and AJAB PREM KI GHAZAB KAHANI rub on ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR?
- Was it an intentional move to keep the promotion low-key, so that the expectations don't get raised?
- If ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR caters to a niche audience, why was the film released like a regular big-budget film [double the screens of WAKE UP SID]? With 15 to 17 shows at plexes every day?
These are some questions that continue to baffle a large segment of the film industry.
Let's get into the flashback zone. The film industry was clearly divided prior to its release. A large section of the trade was of the opinion that the Aditya Chopra-Shimit Amin-Jaideep Sahni-Ranbir Kapoor combo would fetch a flying start at the ticket window. But there were others who felt that ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR wouldn't open well, since the promotion was low-key and also because the music wasn't popular.
But no one expected ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR to have a disastrous start at the box-office. Believe me when I say this, the shockingly low opening continues to be the topic of discussion to this date.
ROCKET SINGH - SALESMAN OF THE YEAR may not be an expensive film, but the theatrical business has only gone from bad to worse on weekdays. In Overseas too, the theatrical business is a downer [read Overseas B.O. for details]. The makers will have to rely on Satellite and Home Video rights to recover a substantial sum, but given the fact that the Satellite market is yet to recover, will Yash Raj recover their investment in the final tally? Now that's another pertinent question!
This is clearly the shocker of the year!