WELCOME has been welcomed with open arms in Pakistan. Released last Friday [8th February], the film has fared very well in its opening weekend, despite the fact that the pirated DVDs have been in circulation thereâ€¦ Meanwhile, the business has hit rock bottom in the absence of new releases in the major markets. The Punjabi film, YAARIYAN, continues to lead in U.K., while SUNDAY remains on the lower side hereâ€¦ All eyes are on the next big release, JODHAA AKBAR, which sees an extensive release globally, this Friday.
Weekend: February 8 - 10, 2008.
- SUNDAY [last weekend: No. 23, this weekend: No. 27]: In its third weekend, the film has collected Â£ 12,174 on 17 screens, with the per screen average working out to Â£ 716. Total: Â£ 184,632 [approx. Rs. 1.43 crores].
- YAARIYAN [Punjabi film; last weekend: No. 27, this weekend: No. 28]: In its third weekend, the film has collected Â£ 10,851 on 8 screens, with the per screen average working out to Â£ 1,356. Total: Â£ 73,978 [approx. Rs. 57.28 lacs].
- TAARE ZAMEEN PAR [last weekend: No. 42, this weekend: No. 45]: In its eighth weekend, the film has collected Â£ 2,840 on 4 screens, with the per screen average working out to Â£ 710. Total: Â£ 349,245 [approx. Rs. 2.70 crores].
- HALLA BOL [last weekend: No. 102, this weekend: No. 55]: In its fifth weekend, the film has collected Â£ 771 on 4 screens, with the per screen average working out to Â£ 193. Total: Â£ 81,979 [approx. Rs. 63.48 lacs].
- WELCOME [last weekend: No. 65, this weekend: No. 58]: In its eighth weekend, the film has collected Â£ 601 on 1 screen. Total: Â£ 912,472 [approx. Rs. 7.07 crores].
THIS WEEKEND IN U.K.
[Based on screen averages]
|1||YAARIYAN [Punjabi film]||Â£ 1,356|
|3||TAARE ZAMEEN PAR||Â£ 710|
|5||HALLA BOL||Â£ 193|
After Mahesh and Mukesh Bhatt's AWARAPAN and UTV's DHAN DHANA DHAN GOAL, WELCOME is the next recent release to open in Pakistani theatres. Here's some vital info pertaining to its opening weekend business in the neighboring country. It's a Bollywood Hungama exclusive.
Since its release on 8th February, the box-office graph of WELCOME has only gone upwards and the business is expected to zoom further next week. The elections [scheduled for 18th February] may disrupt the business a little, but the business is expected to increase again thereafter. Luckily, as there is no other film releasing, WELCOME has a few clean weeks ahead.
Here are the box-office gross figures for a 3-day period [Friday to Sunday] from some of the cinemas. Remember, they are all single theatres in Pakistan apart from Cinepax Rawalpindi or Cineplex Karachi [where one print each is playing]. All theatres are playing 3 shows a day.
Metropole: Pakistani Rs. 2,15,190; DHA: 3,24,500; Sozo: 1,44,950; Plaza: 1,56,450
We don't have the 3-day figures yet, but it was a sellout in Cineplex on Saturday and Sunday. 2 shows in Nishat were also sold out on Sunday.
Taj Mahal: 2,33,200
Cinepax: 1,13,400; PAF: 57,355
Prince: 1,25,970; Zinco Palace: 80,730
Dreamland: 1,09,560; Rex: 95,500