The Hrithik Roshan – Tiger Shroff starrer War released yesterday across 4000 screens in the domestic market. Being one of the most anticipated releases of the year, expectations from the film were at an all-time high. Keeping this in mind the makers of War, Yash Raj Films pulled out all stops to ensure the film’s success by promoting War across the country and opening advance booking five days before its release. Now, living up to expectations War drew in a staggering Rs. 53.35 cr shattering a multitude of records. We at Bollywood Hungama decided to take a closer look at some of the records War has managed to break with its massive opening day collections.
In fact, War created 8 new milestones with its opening collections and set massive benchmarks for the industry! Here are the following records that War smashed with its incredible opening day:
1. Highest single day grosser in the history of the Hindi film industry: Collecting Rs. 53.35 cr on its opening day War has managed to record the highest collections ever for a Hindi film on a single day.
2. Highest Day 1 for an original film which is not a sequel or spin-off: Unlike Baahubali 2 – The Conclusion which already had a fan following, especially since it was a sequel, War has managed to become the highest grossing original film in Hindi cinema that is not a sequel or a spin-off.
3. Highest Day 1 for a Gandhi Jayanti release: Filmmakers are always looking for the Holiday release to maximize box office earning. In the case of War, it was Gandhi Jayanti that proved to be a good day. With Rs. 53.35 cr coming in on this national holiday, the Hrithik Roshan – Tiger Shroff starrer has recorded the highest Day 1 collections for a Gandhi Jayanti release.
4. Highest Day 1 for a YRF film: Collecting Rs. 53.35 cr on its opening day War has managed to surpass the collections of the Aamir Khan starrer Thugs of Hindostan that had collected Rs. 52.25 cr. With this War has managed to become Yash Raj Films’ highest opening day grosser till date.
5. Highest Day 1 for a Hrithik Roshan film: With an opening day collection of Rs. 53.35 cr War has managed to become Hrithik Roshan’s highest opening day grosser ever. In fact, the Day 1 collections of War are almost double of the actor’s second highest opening day grosser which is Bang Bang that had collected Rs. 27.54 cr
6. Highest Day 1 for a Tiger Shroff film: War has also become Tiger Shroff’s highest opening day grosser collection a twice as much as the actor’s second highest opening day grosser Baaghi 2 that had collected Rs. 25.1 cr
7. Highest Day 1 for a Siddharth Anand film: Much like Hrithik Roshan, War has also become Siddharth Anand’s highest opening day grosser, surpassing the Day 1 business of his previous directorial Bang Bang that had collected Rs. 27.54 cr
8. Highest opening day grosser till date: Collecting Rs. 53.35 cr War has managed to break the record previously set by Thugs of Hindostan that had collected Rs. 52.25 cr, to become the highest all-time opening day grosser.
Speaking about the record breaking opening of War, director Siddharth Anand thanked the audience saying, “It is truly overwhelming and gratifying to get this kind of love from audiences for our hard work in making War a truly big screen spectacle. Having two of the biggest action superstars of Indian cinema, we had the immense responsibility to give audiences a never seen before visual experience and I feel hugely validated that people across the country have loved our action entertainer that has pushed the envelope of action genre in India.”
Further congratulating the cast of the film and the producers Anand added, “I congratulate Hrithik and Tiger on this huge success and thank them for their faith in the vision. I also share this moment with Vaani, all the actors and the entire team that has worked tirelessly on this film to make War a huge winner at the box office”.