Over the years, Bollywood has evolved from just another form of entertainment, to one of the biggest industries churning out crores of rupees in profits, with film collections crossing the formerly untouchable Rs. 100 crore mark. In this field of cut throat competition, with alliances formed and broken depending on the success of a film, being on top comes with the tag of being not just the best there is, but also the most successful and sought after. Of course all the top stars are constantly vying for the privilege of being the leader of this business.
Shah Rukh Khan, a name that has always been at the top of most of these lists today may find himself in a bit of a fix. Albeit the rapid influx of younger and equally talented and popular actors, this megastar has been finding it difficult to hold on to his top position. Currently gearing up for his upcoming release Chennai Express, SRK has been going all guns blazing in promoting the film.
We at Bollywood Hungama decided to take a look at some of the records King Khan may just be desperately looking at breaking with Chennai Express:
- The first and by far one of the biggest records is that held by professional rival and frenemy Salman Khan's Ek Tha Tiger, for being the fastest film to reach the Rs. 100 crore mark, in just 5 days.
- Back in December 2009, Aamir Khan's 3 Idiots created history with a lifetime domestic collection of Rs. 202.47 crores, as compared to SRK's current highest Jab Tak Hai Jaan that stands at Rs 120.85 crores. SRK will certainly be gunning for the record of Aamir's that has endured for 3 and half years now.
- While on one hand SRK battles the domestic collections of 3 Idiots, on the other, he has the US collections of 3 Idiots to beat that stands at 6,533,849 USD gross followed by SRK's My Name Is Khan 4,018,695 USD.
- If not Aamir's in the US, SRK will surely be gunning to break his own record of My Name Is Khan in UK which collected 2,626,608 pounds gross.
- The recently released Ranbir Kapoor starrer Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani has fast claimed the number one slot in the UAE, a territory that has been relatively predominantly the Khan bastion. To reclaim top slot in UAE, SRK's Chennai Express will have to surpass YJHD's collections that stand at 6,500,000 AED.
- Another record that SRK will be gunning for is yet again held by Aamir, that of 3 Idiots collections in Australia. In this case, much like the US collections, Aamir leads with collections of 1,077,333 A$ gross followed by SRK's My Name Is Khan at 876,794 A$.
- The last, much like the first, held by Salman Khan is that of the highest Opening Day grosser with his film Ek Tha Tiger. The film which collected a surprising Rs 32.93 crores as compared to SRK's Ra.One that managed Rs. 18.5 crores.
From the above mentioned records, a major portion is held by rivals Aamir and Salman, while rising star Ranbir is the only contender from the new lot of actors. Though we at Bollywood Hungama have tried to encompass most of the records available, if you know any that we might have missed, post it in the comments section below. Also, we would want to know from you if SRK will be able to break each of these records mentioned above.