Bollywood Hungama
Last Updated 17.02.2019 | 9:18 PM IST
  • LANGUAGE

  • FOLLOW US ON

  • FEEDBACK

Box Office: Records of 2016 (Jan to March)

By Bollywood Hungama News Network
The first quarter of the New Year 2016 has finally come to a close, and like the banking sector, we too decided to take a look at the Box Office records for the first quarter. Interestingly, the

first three months saw a release of approximately 55 Hindi films that managed to generate around Rs. 575 crore NETT at the domestic box office. However, 86% of the business in the first quarter was

generated by the Top 10 movies, while the Top 5 movies generating 60% of the quarterly business.

As compared to first quarter of last year, business has been slightly better this year as releases in the same period last year clocked around Rs. 415. cr NETT. Apart from domestic collections, the

first quarter of 2016 also saw a small fraction of films releasing overseas to a decent response. In fact these overseas releases clocked business of approximately $23.69 mil. / 160.74 cr. INR

gross.

Along with big releases and big successes, 2016 also witnessed the industry’s biggest ever disaster in the form of the Aditya Roy KapurKatrina Kaif starrer Fitoor that was made on a

budget of Rs. 70 cr and suffered losses to the tune of Rs. 40 cr.

Apart from the successes and flops, 2016 also saw the Bollywood khiladi Akshay Kumar experiment with a different remuneration model. In fact the actor who usually charges anywhere between Rs. 30 to

Rs. 35 cr for a film slashed his remuneration to a meagre Rs. 8 cr. However, he did take a lion’s share of the profits with his share being a whopping 70% of overall income with the remaining 30%

being split between the producers of the film viz. T-Series and Abundantia Entertainment (Vikram Malhotra). Thanks to this, Akshay Kumar walked away with Rs. 50+ cr share as part of this

arrangement.


Sr.RecordMovieStatistics
1Highest Grosser (India)Airlift128.1 cr. INR
2Highest Grosser (Overseas)Kapoor & Sons6.61 mil. USD / 43.71 cr. INR
3Highest Grosser (Worldwide)Airliftapprox. 225 cr. INR (gross)
4Highest Grosser (Hollywood in India)Batman v Superman (English)38.5 cr. INR
5Highest Grosser (U certificate) (India)Fitoor19.28 cr. INR
6Highest Grosser (UA certificate) (India)Airlift128.1 cr. INR
7Highest Grosser (A certificate) (India)Mastizaade36.44 cr. INR
8Most Expensive movieFitoor70 cr. INR (inclusive of P&A)
9Biggest Flop in terms of lossFitoorLoss of approx. 40 cr. INR
10Highest Grosser (Marathi)Natasamraatapprox. 38 cr. INR
11Highest Grosser (Male Centric starrer)Airlift128.1 cr. INR
12Highest Grosser (Female Centric starrer)Neerja75.34 cr. INR
13Highest Opening Day (India)Airlift12.35 cr. INR
14Highest Opening Weekend (Overseas)Kapoor & Sons2.9 mil. USD / 19.26 cr. INR
15Highest Single Day Collections (India)Airlift17.8 cr. INR (Day Four)
16Highest Day 2 Collections (India)Airlift14.6 cr. INR
17Highest Day 3 Collections (India)Airlift17.35 cr. INR
18Highest Opening Weekend (India)Airlift44.3 cr. INR
19Highest Opening Week (India)Airlift78.5 cr. INR
20Highest Second Weekend (India)Airlift19.26 cr. INR
21Highest Second Week (India)Airlift28.79 cr. INR
22Highest Third Weekend (India)Airlift8.41 cr. INR
23Highest Third Week (India)Airlift11.97 cr. INR
24Highest Opening Day to Lifetime Multiple (India)Neerja16.02
25Highest Opening Weekend to Lifetime Multiple (India)Neerja3.42
26Highest Opening Week to Lifetime Multiple (India)Neerja2.13
27Fastest entry into 100 crore club (India)Airlift10 days
28No. of movies entering 100 crore club (India)1 (Airlift)
29Fastest entry into 200 crore club (India)NIL
30No. of movies entering 200 crore club (India)0
31Highest Grosser (North America)Airlift1.97 mil. USD / cr. INR
32Highest Grosser (United Kingdom)Kapoor & Sons485k Pounds / 4.58 cr. INR
33Highest Grosser (Australia)Airlift529k A$ / 2.69 cr. INR
34Highest Grosser (New Zealand)Airlift212k NZ$ / 0.96 cr. INR
35Highest Grosser (Malaysia)Airlift72k MYR / 0.13 cr. INR
36Highest Grosser (UAE GCC)Kapoor & Sons5.17 mil. AED / 9.32 cr. INR
37Highest Grosser (Pakistan)Kapoor & Sons81.68 mil. PKR / 5.16 cr. INR
38Top Distributor (Overseas)Fox9.45 mil. USD / 62.83 cr. INR


Disclaimer:
The Box Office figures are compiled from various sources and our own research. The figures can be approximate and Bollywood Hungama does not make any claims about the

authenticity of the data. However, they are adequately indicative of the box-office performance of the film(s).

Recommended for you

Rate this article
Make favorite
Copyright © 2019 Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Forgot Password

Please provide your registered email address or username
  • OR

Write A Review

  • Click to rate on scale of 1-5
  • 5000 characters remaining

New notification