The Oscar nominated director of Lagaan returns after working with 3 of the biggest stars in the country Aamir Khan (Lagaan), Shahrukh Khan (Swades) and Hrithik Roshan (Jodhaa Akbar).. comparatively Whatâ€™s your Rashee is a much smaller movie starring Priyanka Chopra in 12 different roles and Harman Baweja as the most eligible bachelor. Yet the expectations are sky high and understandably so.
But what unfolds in this terribly long movie on Sun Signs, is Gowarikerâ€™s worst work in a long long time. A movie that not just falls way below expectations, but surprises you with its mediocrity. Is this really, for real, an Ashutosh Gowariker directed movie?
Read on as we dissect the positives and negatives of Whatâ€™s your Rashee.
Whats your Rashee Review
Some reasons why you could watch Whatâ€™s your Rashee on DVD (visit to a theater not recommended)
* Priyanka Chorpa â€“ Does justice to each of the 12 characters she portrays and ensures almost each of them feel distinctly different.
* Some dialogues and comic scenes work, but are way too few and far in between.
Why you would absolutely regret the Rashee experience if you indeed decide to watch it
* The movie is way too long and what makes things worse are those 13 songs, 12 for each Rashee and the title song in the end. Why include a song, just for the heck of it? None, absolutely none of the songs were necessary. Dont get me wrong, length is never a problem as long as the content is strong, unfortunately the screenplay and its execution (read direction) ensure the 3 hour 30 minute movie remains terribly weak on content throughout.
* With due credit to Priyankaâ€™s performance, she is let down by some of the most irritating and weird characters you will ever get to watch on screen. They dance without a reason, their dialogues are outright pathetic and while most seem different from each other, the effort to make them so different seems to have back-fired big time.
* Harman Baweja is completely overshadowed by Priyanka here. His performance and dialogue delivery has improved considerably since his Love Story 2050 days and Gowariker has ensured there is no trace of Hrithik left in his performance, yet there is something missing. Could be the energy, intensity or the lack screen presence? He seems to have the necessary talent and looks but if Gowariker couldâ€™nt extract the best out of him we wonder who could..
* After the drag that the movie is, you look forward to the last possible saving grace â€“ the climax. But what unfolds in the last 20 odd minutes has to be one of the most stupid and unconvincing climaxes ever.
* Darshan Jariwalaâ€™s extra marital storyline that adds to the runtime gets increasingly annoying. It was meant to be funny, but isnâ€™t.
Overall, from a director with epics like Lagaan and Swades behind him, its a shocker. Hard to put it in words, but being one of the biggest fans of Gowariker since his acting and CID days, it hurts to say this â€“ Whatâ€™s your Rashee is one of the worst films this decade. A powerful sleeping pill, that isnâ€™t recommended even for chronic sleeplessness.
Two a star for Priyanka.