Dus Kahaniyan - Six Director's 10 short stories in one film is the novel part which can be compared with "Darna Mana Hai" kind of movies. The only difference is that here "Its like seeing 10 short films at one go" as they are not related with each other and no linking scenes. Here I will rate each story for you and that will give you the whole idea of the movie :
The Best of 10 Stories
1. Puranmaasi (Amrita Singh, Minisha Lamba and Parmeet Sethi)
If this short story does not inspire our film-makers to look into our own literature in Hindi, Urdu & Punjabi for new subjects then no one can inspire us really.
Directed by Meghna Gulzar its based on the short story of Kartar Singh Duggal. The plot is so powerful and shockingly impactful that you will surprise why it was not adopted for a complete movie. The most impressive of the 10 and the unarguably the best part of the movie. You will only remember this at the back of the mind after watching all the 10.
Other Good Stories
2. Strangers in the night (Neha Dhupia, Mahesh Manjrekar)
(Good use of surprise element, human touch and sensuality)
3. Zahir (Manoj Bajpai, Dia Mirza)
(You find it funny as you get to know the real thing though its quite serious)
4. Rice Plate (Shabana Azmi and Naseeruddin Shah)
Rohit Roy makes his directorial debut but chooses an inspired theme.
Though he does a fine job but the similarities with the short film "The Lunch Date" (1989) are really questionable.
Check out : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100076/plotsummary
Below Average Stories
5. Matrimony (Mandira Bedi, Arbaz Khan and Sudhanshu Pandey)
(On Out of marriage Relations told many times)
6. High On The Highway (Jimmy Shergill, Masumeh)
(About a drug addict couple..Not impressive)
7. Love Dale (Anupam Kher, Aftab Shivdasani and Neha Oberoi)
(Follows the â€œDarna Mana Haiâ€ tradition with Ghosts)
8. Sex on the Beach (Dino Morea and Tareena Patel)
(This too follows the â€œDarna Mana Haiâ€ Ghost thing)
9. Gubbare (Anita Hasnandani, Nana Patekar and Rohit Roy)
(Again on â€œDarna Mana Haiâ€ lines)
10. Rise and Fall (Sanjay Dutt, Suniel Shetty)
(Gang Fights and Stuntsâ€¦â€¦Just Passable)
So with only 4 out of 10 watchable stories, it gives only average rating to the movie.
Rating : 2.5 Stars
(Dont miss "Puranmaasi", the story is the pride of our rich literature)