The Sanjay Leela Bhansali directorial Padmaavat released on January 25 amid high security, but despite the hurdles it faces the business of the film has seen stellar growth. Starring Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor the film has managed to cross not just the Rs. 100 cr mark but also the Rs. 200 crore mark. With the business of Padmaavat recording collections in excess of Rs. 200 we take a look at why the lead actress of Padmaavat, Deepika Padukone can rightly be termed as the ‘Queen of the Rs. 200 crore club’.
1. Entering the Rs. 200 crore club with Chennai Express in 2013 at the age of 27.5 years Deepika Padukone is the fourth youngest member after Sanya Malhotra and Fatima Sana Sheikh who entered at the age of 23 & 24 years respectively with Dangal and Tamannaah Bhatia at 27 years with Baahubali 2 – The Conclusion.
2. With Padmaavat entering the Rs. 200 cr club, Deepika Padukone becomes the only actress to have three films viz. Chennai Express, Happy New Year and Padmaavat cross the Rs. 200 cr mark
3. With a total box office collection of Rs. 649.63 cr from three releases (Chennai Express, Happy New Year and Padmaavat) Deepika Padukone become the actress with the highest collections within the Rs. 200 cr club
4. Two of Deepika’s three films in the Rs. 200 crore club viz. Happy New Year and Chennai Express have co-starred Shah Rukh Khan
5. Directors of each of Deepika Padukone’s Rs. 200 cr club entrants’ viz. Rohit Shetty, Farah Khan and Sanjay Leela Bhansali have clashed with each other at the box office. Rohit Shetty (Chennai Express/ Dilwale) – Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Padmaavat/ Bajirao Mastani), Farah Khan (Happy New Year/ Om Shaanti Om) – Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Padmaavat/ Saawariya)