Since Shah Rukh Khan has made it explicitly clear that he is in no hurry to move on to his next film, it is difficult to predict what he may plunge into next. However, there is a list of don’ts and won’ts. And here are things that would never happen in his next film.
2. Anand L Rai: The director promised Shah Rukh the moon. Nearly took him there literally in Zero in a plotting digression that boggled the mind. Did Anand think Shah Rukh was Elton John and was he trying to make Rocketman?
3. No more outer space adventures: If Aanand L Rai hadn’t taken off into the orbit with SRK the superstar Khan wouldn’t have said no to the Rakesh Sharma bio-pic. It’s like when the mother slaps the child to teach her husband a lesson.
5. No more guest appearances to oblige friends: Shah Rukh Khan has done the maximum number of cameos and “friendly appearances” (literally, as he does them to please friends) to help out friends and aspirants. In all he has done cameo appearances in 31 films so far. In fact Shah Rukh took a conscious decision to stay away from fleeting appearances some time ago. Last year he was required to make a very important cameo appearance in Nagesh Kukunoor’s Dhanak which was based entirely on a story about two kids journeying across the deserts of Rajasthan to meet Shah Rukh Khan. The film had to be finally made without the Superstar’s presence. The guest appearance in Tubelight was done only because Salman requested Shah Rukh personally.
6. No more experimental films: The know-alls advised Kind Khan to mend his ways. To stop playing variations on lover boy Rahul over and over again. But every time he has experimented with his image—Hey Ram, Oh Darling Yeh Hai India, Ashoka, Fan—the film has floundered.
7. Done with Don: Shah Rukh has bid adieu to the franchise after two hits. He knows, milking a cow is not the solution to his career roadblock. Exploring greener pastures is.
Abhi picture baqi hai, mere dost.