Don 2 Soundtrack Review --
When superstars like Shahrukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra team up with a director like Farhan Akhtar, along with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy trio, the expectations are sky high! A movie like Don should have mainstream music, which also enhances the expectations.
WHAT YOU GET -
1) Aa Raha Hoon Palat Ke -- this is not a song. It is a 35 second dialogue that is expected from Don. This track does set a certain mood. However, it shouldn't have been put as a whole track in the album. -- 2.5/5
2) Zara Dil Ko Tham Lo -- A pumping song! Something I would like to listen to when jogging or working out etc. It is a fast song with not-so-fast lyrics. Speaking of which, the lyrics seem to match with the tone of a movie like Don 2. The chorus of the song is actually the best part of the song, not in any way saying the rest of the song is just "not bad". Playback singers do justice to Don, as does the music. The entire song is very memorable. -- 5/5
3) Hai Yeh Maya -- Slower than Zara Dil Ko Tham Lo, however, is still a good song to listen to. The song doesn't pack as much punch either. But, again, that in no way means that the song is bad. Actually, the music is really cool...looks like a bit of experimenting was done in terms of music. The playback singer is so-so. I think someone with a lower voice. BUT, the chorus is very rocking though! -- 3.5/5
4) Dushman Mera -- Electronic-ish song! The lyrics are decent. The playback singers are good enough. The music is not very inspiring however. It is something I personally can't listen to over and over again. However, listening to it a couple of times, it is quite decent! -- 3.5/5
5) Hai Yeh Maya (remix) -- This song seems like a really nice song that could be danced to in a club. The song is extremely fast-paced. There are some "jitters" here and there, but, is good. The playback singer is the same as the original version. However, in this remix, the singer does justice to the music provided. But, the Don feel starts to swift away in this song. -- 4/5
6) Mujhko Pehchanlo (Remix) -- REPETITIVE!!! God, the first 30 seconds are almost unbearable! And some places b/w the lyrics in the song are quite bad. It's just Don's dialogue "Don ko pakadna mushkil hi nahin, namunkin hai" (It's not difficult to catch Don, it's impossible). The music is also quite crappy. It's the same beat over and over! The lyrics are decent. The playback singing is brought down by the repetitive music. The song is tolerable. 2.5/5
7) The "Don" Waltz -- Has no feeling of Don even close to it, whatsoever! If you like classical music, this is just for you. For me, however, the song is boring...it sounds like a song from the '60s - '70s! But, I can't rate it through a personal choice of music. So, being as unbiased as I can be... 3/5
8) Mujhko Pehchanlo -- NOTHING LIKE THE REMIX!!! The music is pretty damn awesome, thought, at times, a wee repetitive. The lyrics are pretty good. The song brings back the good ol' memories of Don. This song enhances the Don theme!! The playback singer does a really good job of symbolizing Don. - 4.5/5
9) Return of the King - Theme -- The song starts off and almost seems like a sad song. BUT, as soon as it gets going, nearly 35 seconds in, oh boy, it's a treat! The song is short and sweet! Carries a nice beat throughout. The music doesn't become repetitive at all. There is very little playback singing. As much as is in it, it's really awesome with great lyrics! man, I just can't stop talking about the MUSIC!! It is so awesome! I'm listening to it right now. It is just so pumping. Something like a chase scene or another action scene could easily be built into something like this! -- 5/5
OVERALL -- 3.72/5 -- Overall a rocking album with just a few hiccups inbetween, but, still manages to keep the Don charm really well!!!