Hrithik Roshan who celebrates his 42nd birthday on January 10 has come a long way from his Bhagwan Dada days when he stood his ground with Rajnikanth and Sridevi as a child actor. But one feels he has not gone far enough. And here are ten reasons why he need to...well, just unwind.
1. Mera naam karega...Roshan!: Too many films with Papa Rakesh Roshan. From the time they worked together in Kaho Na...Pyar Hai to their latest film together Krissh 3, the Roshans have together covered the entire spectrum of movie experiences. The director-star Papa-Beta pair have done it all. We want to see Rakesh Roshan make a blockbuster with another hero.
2. 15, and still not started: Considering his impressive range as an actor, Hrithik's body of work is hardly exemplary. He started in 2000 with his Dad's Kaho Na...Pyar Hai where his double role wowed audiences. In 2015 he had Bang Bang which was more a whimper-whimper. Really, Mr Roshan. Who advises you on which scripts to choose?
3. More memorable roles, please: Apart from Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodhaa-Akbar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Guzaarish which outstanding films-and I mean the kind that he can show his grandchildren-has Hrithik been part of?
4. Don't blink: Too much of the intense factor in every role. Hrithik needs to stop treating every shot as a matter of life and death. Sometimes an actor just needs to let go, to just chill and not put a 100 percent of himself in every frame. Mala Sinha in olden times and Priyanka Chopra now do the same. They intensify their screen presence beyond the prescribed amount. You need to do fun films, the kind your Nanajee J Om Prakash used to make. In fact you had more fun doing child roles in your Nanajee's films (Bhagwan Dada, Aap Ke Deewane, Aas Paas, Aasha) than you have had with your adult roles.
5. Aur Zyada: Hrithik needs to do more work. One film every 2 years is an average that only Dilip Kumar could afford in the past. In 15 years Hrithik has only done 20 films. In comparison the other A-list superstars of Hrithik's generation have done twice and three times more work. And please don't tell me, Hrithik that you believe in quality. Akshay Kumar does 3 films per year and still finds time for Baby and Special 26.
6. Please hire a script consultant: what Hrithik thinks to be brilliant script ideas often turns out to be duds. He raved about Anurag Basu's Kites (he also raved about its leading lady Barbara Mori, but we shall let that be). He raved about Sooraj Barjatya's Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon. The two were their respective directors' biggest failures.
7. Swami Hrithikanand: Must every tweet, and every quote from Hrithik sound like homilies from Sanskar channel? Why can't Hrithik just speak from his heart instead of applying his brain? He needs to stop thinking the world rests on his sturdy shoulders.
8. Wanted better heroines: Hrithik is in serious need of more variety among his co-stars. We want to see him pair with Deepika Padukone, Anushka Sharma and Alia Bhatt. His next release Mohenjo Daro features him with a newcomer Pooja Hegde. We hope she is better than Barbara Mori.
9. Duggu da director: You assisted your dad in 4 of his films before taking to full-time full-on hero-giri. I am sure there is a brilliant director inside you. Re-make your father's Karan Arjun. Cast Ranbir and Ranveer in the two roles. You just stay behind the camera.
10. More bonding please: Too many solo-hero projects because you believe--and rightly so--that your films don't need another leading man. But look at how much fun Zindagi Na Milegi Dobaara was. Do more films with your colleagues. It will help you unwind on screen.