As is the ritual each year, this year too, we, at Bollywood Hungama conducted a poll to chart out what are likely to be the biggest blockbusters of 2011. The analysis took the form of an extensive survey (from 12 January to 20 January 2011) conducted online amongst those who really matter – the Consumers. Spanning regions as diverse as India and South-East Asia to the European Union and USA-Canada, the user had to select his/her 5 most anticipated movies. To ensure complete transparency and accuracy, a three level authentication check with email validation, cookie check and IP mapping was put into place.
The hot list of the ‘Most Awaited Movies of 2011’ truly proved to be the voice of the masses, garnering an overwhelming response. The 10 day poll saw lakhs of valid responses. Results were compiled based on votes from 151 countries – countries which constitute about 98% of revenue towards Bollywood releases.
What to watch out for in 2011
- Like last year (when My Name Is Khan emerged at the Top), this year too it’s an SRK starrer Don 2 which occupies the Top Spot in the coveted list of Most Awaited Movies of 2011. What’s more! Even the 2nd most awaited film is yet another SRK starrer Ra.One. At 3rd place is Zoya Akhtar’s multi-starrer Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara even overtaking biggies like Aamir starrer (Reema Kagti’s next) and Salman starrer remake of Bodyguard.
- Amongst the actresses, Kareena Kapoor surely has a lot riding on her in 2011 as 3 of her films (namely Ra.One, Bodyguard remake and Reema Kagti’s next) find a place in the Top 5 of this coveted list of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011. Besides Agent Vinod, which features Bebo along with beau Saif also manages to feature in the Top 10 in all key markets. This surely is a crucial year for Bebo.
- Priyanka Chopra too is not far behind. While her Don 2 occupies the Top Spot in this list, her eagerly awaited flick 7 Khoon Maaf manages to make it to the Top 5 among surfers of USA and India but not U.K.
- Both Salman starrers Ready and Bodyguard remake make it to the Top 10 of most awaited films
- None of the Akshay Kumar starrers manage to make it to the Top 10 of the Most Awaited list though 3 of his films (Patiala House, Thank You and Joker) do make it to the Top 20. It could be because of the fact that Akshay hasn’t had too many successes in the last couple of years.
- Despite having a fabulous 2010, none of Ajay Devgn‘s films of 2011 (Bol Bachchan, Tezzz, Rascals, Singam remake) find a place in the Top 20 of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011. However, it may be recalled that the intense actor was in a similar position last year too when out of his many releases only Raajneeti managed to find a place in the Top 20 of the Most Awaited Movies of 2010. Nevertheless, he did have a fabulous 2010 with hits such as Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai, Golmaal 3, Raajneeti, and Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge. This does go on to prove that while Ajay’s films may not be eagerly looked forward to, their strong content does receive a lot of appreciation by the movie-going junta.
- The young turks of B-town Ranbir Kapoor and Imran Khan can also afford to smile as their respective films Rockstar and Delhi Belly does manage to make it to the Top 10 of this coveted list of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011.
- Abhishek Bachchan may have 4 big releases to look forward to in 2011, namely Players, Game, Bol Bachchan and Dum Maaro Dum but only Players features in the Top 20 of this crucial list of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011.
- In all the 3 key markets USA, UK and India, it’s the Shah Rukh starrers Ra.One and Don 2 which occupy the top 2 spots. However, it seems that viewers in UK are more eager to watch Ra.One than Don 2.
- Films such as Love U…Mr.Kalakaar, Shorr, Shaagird, Kahaani and Hum Tum Aur Shabana feature in the Bottom 5 of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011 list.
- Farhan Akhtar and Ritesh Sidhwani’s Excel Entertainment looks like a solid force to reckon with as not one or two but 3 of their films (namely Don 2, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Reema Kagti’s next) find a place in the Top 5 of this coveted list of the Most Awaited Movies of 2011.
- Only one film from Yash Raj banner namely Mere Brother Ki Dulhan manages to make it to the Top 20 of the Most Awaited Movies List
- No film of Dharma Productions manages to make it to the Top 20.
Disclaimer: Bollywood Hungama (earlier www.indiafm.com) has been conducting polls annually to determine the movies which are awaited the most or have a high level of public awareness and interest. The survey does not reflect or tend to predict the performance of the movie at the box office. Also please note that the films released in January 2011 have not been considered for this survey.