A couple of days back news channels were abuzz with reports that filmmaker Boney Kapoor stated that he faced losses due to setback with Maidaan. While almost all the reports spoke about the loss Kapoor incurred having to erect the sets of the Ajay Devgn starrer multiple times, not one publication delved into the matter to understand the human cost. “Everyone is talking about the cost of the sets, no one looks at the mental cost such things take”, says Boney.
“I have gone through a lot, and will get through this as well”, says Boney Kapoor about the loss incurred due to setback with Maidaan
Talking exclusively to Bollywood Hungama, Kapoor vents out his frustration, “This will be the third time we will have to erect the sets of Maidaan. The first time round it cost us Rs. 16 cr., but we had to dismantle it due to the lockdown. The second time, since it was dismantled we could re-use nearly 70% of the material bringing down the cost to around Rs. 6 cr. However, this time we will have to see what the total damage has been since nearly 80% will have to be reconstructed and the remaining 20% will need touch-ups.” An audibly irked Boney further continues saying, “Everyone is talking about the cost of the sets, no one is looking at the human cost, and the toll it takes mentally on the producer. I have to deal with that, each time there is a delay my work goes in vain and I have to bear the financial and mental cost of it.”
However, though Kapoor is irked about the multiple setbacks, the two lockdowns and then the cyclone, that delayed the shoot and subsequent release of Maidaan, the filmmaker is adamant on overcoming all obstacles. “I have lived a full life, and have seen a number of highs and lows, this isn’t any different. I can and I will take this in my stride and overcome the setbacks. I have the support of my team members, the cast of Maidaan and of course my partners that will help me overcome such issues. So yes, it was a problem, there has been a loss, but nothing that we cannot recover from.”
Ask Boney about the financial deficit the delays have caused and he says, “Apart from having to re-create the sets three times, there is also the cost of having to fly down the members of the film who are overseas. In Maidaan there are around 40 individuals whom we have to bring down to Mumbai, and again this has to be done the third time around. So apart from the cost due to set damage there is also this cost to bear. But it isn’t just this, the delay in the shoot and release of the film that has already been 80% completed means there is an interest on the investment that has been done which is accrued in the same time. Since the film is almost ready there is nearly 70% investment from my end which is caught up till completion and release. No one speaks about that. We still have to assess all the damage cause by the cyclone, and factor in the cost of flying everyone down again before even putting a rough figure to the loss faced. Besides this there is also a cost involved in maintaining a 16 acre plot where the sets are erected. This cost includes not only renting the area but also maintaining it and security for the same.”
“Media channels are reporting about the loss incurred on set reconstruction, I have insured the same twice - the first time for a period of 15 months and even before that lapsed, we renewed it again due to the delay. I have paid over Rs. 1 cr (including GST) as insurance premium”, says Kapoor when explaining his irritation over the media only focusing on the financial loss. “Now that we have to re-erect the sets, and resume shoot when we get a green light, there are a lot of other factors and cost that come into play. No one is looking at that; everyone is making a huge topic of my statement ‘Thinking about it brings tears to my eyes’. That was something I said as an expression of the mental frustration such issues cause”, continues Kapoor.
“But at the end of the day, I say again, this is not my lowest low, I have seen harder times, and better times, and like always I will get through this”, concludes Boney.
More Pages: Maidaan Box Office Collection
BOLLYWOOD NEWS - LIVE UPDATES
Catch us for latest Bollywood News, New Bollywood Movies update, Box office collection, New Movies Release , Bollywood News Hindi, Entertainment News, Bollywood Live News Today & Upcoming Movies 2023 and stay updated with latest hindi movies only on Bollywood Hungama.