And we all along thought Ranbir Kapoor was the Golden Boy of Hindi cinema.A string of wrong career moves have stymied his ascension to the throne. There are many a slip between the cup and the lip. And between Ranbir and Ranveer. From being Sanjay Leela Bhansali‘s blue-eyed boy Ranbir went on to become Imtiaz Ali‘s favorite guinea pig. Here are the 10 quasi-suicidal career moves made by Ranbir Kapoor.
1. After Sanjay Leela Bhansali‘s Saawariya failed Ranbir, apparently on advice from his well-wishers, decided to completely dissociate himself from Bhansali and his cinema. Ranbir was offered practically everything that the director has made since Saawariya. He said no to all of them.
2. Thinks with his heart. Chose to work with childhood pal Siddharth Anand, first in Bachna Ae Haseenon which as Ranbir’s second release did not quite make the grade. Pushing along stubbornly with his heartfelt impulses he did another film with Siddharth, the disastrous Anjaana Anjaani. After that Ranbir swore never to work with Anand again. Gyan after apocalypse?
3. Said no to Raj Kumar Santoshi, the guy who structured Ranbir’s biggest hit to date Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani and also gave him a co-star who became a lot more. When Santoshi went back to Ranbir with Phata Poster Nikla Hero with a role he had written specially for Ranbir, the whimsical emotional star played hookey. Reluctantly Raj made the film with Shahid Kapoor. With disastrous results.
4. Ranbir’s career moves seem worse than suicide bombing. He said no to Aditya Chopra. Which actor in India does that? This is when Ranveer Singh stepped into the picture.
5. While Ranveer Singh did Band Baja Baaraat and Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl, Ranbir did Shimit Amin’s Rocket Singh Salesman Of The Year the biggest flop in the history of Yash Raj Films, and Anjaani Anjaani the biggest flop in producer Sajid Nadiadwala‘s career.
6. Ranveer won the confidence of Sanjay Bhansali the visionary filmmaker who could’ve taken his discovery Ranbir to glorious heights. Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram Leela changed the course of Ranveer’s career and put him firmly ahead of Ranbir Kapoor.
7. A month ahead of Ranveer’s Ram Leela came Ranbir’s Besharam, a crippling setback that would’ve wiped out the career of a lesser star actor. Within a month the two young actors’ careers were re-defined in opposite directions. The contrast was glaring and visible to everyone.
8. Ranveer was replaced by Ranbir overnight in Bombay Velvet. After finalizing Ranveer’s dates director Anurag Kashyap unapologetically signed on Ranbir who showed interest in the film. Released in May 2015 Bombay Velvet was the mother of all flops. A month later in June 2015 Ranveer had another career-redefining role in Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do which, surprise surprise, Ranbir had turned down.
9. Ranveer’s a people’s person. Ranbir abhors all social interaction. He is not to be found on any micro-blog. He prefers isolation to adulation.
10. Ranbir has annoyed Salman Khan‘s fans to the extent that they constantly abuse the younger actor.Ranbir has made no effort to resolve the situation. Ranveer has so far never got into a sticky situation with any one from the entertainment industry.