1. That she wanted a white funeral. This is the most ridiculous thing anyone could have made up. Why would Sridevi express any wish on her funeral? Did she know she was dying?
2. That she married Boney Kapoor on the rebound after she broke up with a certain dancing star. The ‘certain something’ with the dancing star happened long before Sridevi decided to marry Boney after many years of togetherness. Sridevi once told me their relationship started with trust and dependence and then went on to companionship and love.
3. That she didn’t get along with Boney’s children from the first marriage. False. Though Sridevi was shy of meeting Arjun and Anshula for obvious reasons, there was no ill will or bad blood between them. Arjun describes his relations with Sridevi as “cordial”.
4. That she was a recluse and disliked socializing. On the contrary Sridevi LOVED to be with friends like Manish Malhotra, director Gauri Shinde and her husband R Balki, Mickey Contractor and Karan Johar. When with these pals she chatted the loudest.
5. That she was inarticulate and that she responded to most questions with, ‘Ask Mummy’ (earlier) and ‘Ask Boney'(later). Sridevi was not inarticulate. She was QUIET. She liked to observe people imbibe their personalities and store away their traits for use in other places.
6. That she was a trained dancer. In fact she had no formal training in dancing. But she could copy the most intricate dance steps conceived by choreographers to perfection. This was especially true of Saroj Khan whose steps she could copy minutely.
7. That she was friendly with some co-stars who are now giving interviews about how much she “warmed up” to them as the shooting progressed. Bollocks! She hardly exchanged anything more than a Namaste with Jeetendra, Rishi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna and her other co-stars. In fact the first co-star she really took to was Sajal Ali who played Sridevi’s daughter in Mom. Sridevi told me Sajal was her third daughter.
8. That she considered Jaya Prada an archrival during the 1980s when they were both trying to consolidate their positions in Bollywood. False. The entire Sridevi-Jaya Prada rivalry was a publicity stunt for a film called Maqsad where they both co-starred.
9. That she turned down Sivagami’s role in Baahubali because of the money offered. Actually Sridevi wasn’t convinced she would have enough space for her presence in a film where the main conflict was between the Prabhas and Rana Daggubatti.
10. That she said no to a Steven Spielberg film. False. The film was produced by Spielberg. He wasn’t directing. So Sridevi didn’t find it worth her while. She did say no to Yash Chopra twice. For Darr and Veer Zaara.