Bollywood Hungama on Wechat
Bollywood Hungama on Pinterest
Subscribe on YouTube
Bollywood Hungama on Instagram
special features

Bollywood Special Features

  • Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift
  • By Bollywood Hungama News Network
It's been a couple of weeks since the release of the Akshay Kumar - Nimrat Kaur starrer Airlift, however the film that is based on one of the largest human evacuations in recent times still continues to run in a few theatres. While everyone has been proclaiming that the film has been one of the high points of the year so far we at Bollywood Hungama decided to take a more acute look at the finances of the film and its profitability to its makers.

Interesting, Airlift that was made on a modest budget of Rs. 40 crores has been pretty profitable for its makers, with an expected profit of approximately Rs. 64.50 cr. While the below table is pretty much self-explanatory a point worth mentioning is how profitable the venture was of Akshay Kumar. In fact the actor who usually charges anywhere between Rs. 30 to Rs. 35 cr for a film slashed his remuneration to a meagre Rs. 8 cr. However, he did take a lion's share of the profits with his share being a whopping 70% of overall income with the remaining 30% being split between the film's producers viz. T Series and Abundantia Entertainment (Vikram Malhotra).

With this restructured remuneration model, Akshay certainly hit the bullseye with him walking away with approximately Rs. 50+ cr in profits. Looking at this we must say that this was certain a smart move indeed.

Economics

Head Amount (INR cr.) Comments
Cost Of Production 30.00 NOTE - Akshay Kumar's remuneration was 8 crore plus profit share
Cost of Marketing (P&A) 10.00
TOTAL COST 40.00



India Theatrical Box Office 120.00 Anticipated
Distributor's share (A) 54.00 Approximately
Overseas Theatrical Box Office 45.00 Anticipated
Distributor's share (B) 22.50 Approximately
Home Video, Music, Digital & Ancillary Rights (C) 8.00 Approximate
Satellite Rights (D) 20.00 Anticipated
TOTAL RECOVERIES (A+B+C+D) 104.50



PROFIT 64.50
RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI) 161.25%


Akshay Kumar's balance sheet

Head Amount (INR cr.) Comments
Remuneration 8.00
Profit Sharing at 70% 45.15
TOTAL 53.15

Disclaimer:
The Box Office figures are compiled from various sources and our own research. The figures can be approximate and Bollywood Hungama does not make any claims about the authenticity of the data. However, they are adequately indicative of the box-office performance of the film(s).
SHARE THIS
 
BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on digg BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on twitter BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift  share on stumbleupon BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on de.icio.us BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on facebook BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on myspace BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on google BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on technorati BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift BollywoodHungama Trade SpecialFeatures - Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift share on reddit
  • Rate this :
  • Title : 
  • Box Office: Understanding the Economics of Akshay Kumar's Airlift
  • Views : 
  • 170880
  • Comments : 
  • Favorite of : 

Archives

  • Date:
  • Go

Browse